NLP is short for Neurolinguistic Programming, a practice that examines the reasons behind how we think, behave, and interact with the world and each other. In essence, we are all “programmed”, much like computer software. The program wasn’t chosen for us, but is the culmination of all our interactions from birth until this moment. From this program stem all of our beliefs about the world and our habitual behaviors.
The practice of NLP, then, is to understand and correct any destructive beliefs and behaviors; to rewrite the program. A practitioner of NLP builds bridges between the conscious and unconscious mind, writing a new program for the “user” or client.
While life coaching focuses on modifying behaviors and focusing on goals, NLP really gets to the root of the problem by changing patterns and habits, instead of merely altering external symptoms.
NLP can help you heal from:
- Stress and anxiety
- Emotional abuse
- Physical and sexual abuse
- Limiting beliefs
- Phobias and fears
To rewrite the program, NLP uses a series of techniques and strategies to do the following:
- Manage stress and anxiety
- Release us from negative or traumatic experiences
- Dismiss fears
- Deal with depression
- Cultivate meaningful relationships
- Correct and prevent self sabotaging behavior
- Unveil and replace negative beliefs
- Become trustworthy and trusting of others
- re-frame negative experiences for more positive use
- Practice self forgiveness and the forgiveness of others
- Build confidence and self-esteem
- Create and plan for future goals
How long will NLP take?
While some people adopt regular NLP sessions as a way to live a more positive and fulfilling life, the amount of time and number of NLP sessions required to overcome a specific challenge is best determined during a free consultation.